Back to Top

Welcome to the website of the Landfort Heritage Foundation


The number of monumental trees at Huis Landfort was much greater before 1945 than it is now. Fortunately, there are still seven monumental trees on the Kleine Erf (house island) that appear in the Bomenstichting’s (Tree Foundation) national register of monumental trees. We are particularly proud of these trees, which include an American tulip tree, bald cypress, two hornbeams, a white walnut or butternut, Dutch lime and an oak-leaf beech.  The fact that trees played an important role for the Luyken family at Huis Landfort is demonstrated by a publication that appeared in 1941 in the German magazine Mitteilungen der…


About Landfort

  History up to 1823 The official history of Landfort begins in 1434 when this noble estate is first mentioned in a document. In that year, Johan van Assewyn handed the country house over to Diederick van Bronckhorst. It was then called Lanckvoort, which is why we now think that there was a ford in the Oude IJssel river here. For centuries, this lovely domain has been situated on the Dutch-German border. It is remarkable that concern about money forms a constant element in the history of Landfort. Up until the nineteenth century, bankruptcy and lack of funds were often…


The future

Click here to read the full policy plan. In 2017, the Landfort Heritage Foundation (sEL) acquired the historic country house Landfort in Megchelen (municipality of Oude IJsselstreek). The foundation has since focused on its future and its mission. The foundation regards the entire constructional and scenic restoration of Landfort as a major objective. In doing so, the country house, the annexes, the historic bridges, and the park will regain their former grandeur. The house will be restored to its original state and will be made suitable for receptions and private…